Chicago Office Based – Grant Writer/Development Assistant
Growing Power seeks an experienced grant writer for our Chicago office. The Grant Writer is responsible for writing proposals for general operating revenue, programs, and capital projects (as needed), and ensuring a smooth and successful proposal submission process, accurate record keeping, and required reporting for foundation, corporate, and federal grants. This position also includes assisting with program expansion and supporting the overall development strategies of the Chicago Office and its’ affiliated programs and initiatives.
Key activities and responsibilities:
- Responsible for conducting the full range of activities required to prepare, submit ($100k + weekly), and manage grant proposals to foundation, federal, and corporate sources.
- Work with finance to gather information necessary to report to funders on current grant programs.
- Comply with all grant reporting as required by donors.
- Perform prospect research on foundations and corporations to evaluate prospects for grants.
- Develop an understanding of organizational history and programs; collaborate with program and membership staff to develop and communicate programming needs, outcomes, and vision.
- Maintain current records in database and in paper files, including grant tracking and reporting.
- Promote, support, and participate in the team goals of the fund development department.
- Perform other duties as required.
Mandatory Job Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field is preferred but not required.
- Minimum of 1-2 years related experience in grant writing and grants administration.
- Strong written communication skills; strong editing skills and ability to write clearly and concisely.
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Knowledge and familiarity with fundraising information sources and research techniques for fundraising prospect research.
- Must be able to work well under pressure in a team environment, handle multiple assignments, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work as a team and gather necessary information from program, finance, and development staff.
- Ability to be assertive and direct, and work in an environment that changes daily (it’s farming after all).
- Passion for sustainable food systems and urban agriculture.